Department of Physics & Chemistry
HoD Message | Fees and Financial Assistance | Faculty | Facts & Figures | MoUs | Announcement | News & Events | Time Tables | Syllabus | Gallery | Department Committee’s | Student Clubs | Newsletter | Contact
We are talking about education that builds the Einsteins of tomorrow
Dept of Physics and Chemistry is catering to the needs of students of all the branches of Engineering offering the subjects Physics and Chemistry, both theory and laboratories. The Dept is strong with four well equipped & spacious laboratories and with required infrastructure. There are seventeen faculty members and seven non-teaching staff members in the Dept at present.
Staff members will strive for achieving excellent results and take utmost interest conducting additional and remedial classes for slow learners. Staff members will involve themselves in Research activities and organizing or attending seminars, conferences and workshops.
Staff members of the Dept will take administrative responsibilities. Program Officer of NSS Unit and an additional In-charge of Academic & Examinations Section are from the Dept. The faculty members also coordinate UBA, Swachh Bharat, UNICEF-WASH program, hold Special Camps & participate in the FIT India program.
- To train and develop the basic skill-sets which in turn facilitate the students in achieving academic excellence.
- To introduce innovative teaching methodologies and evaluation strategies this would sharpen the professional etiquette of the students.
- To inculcate the importance of Physics & Chemistry and develop a natural flair for Engineering and Technology which would mould the student into a competent professional.
Short term Goals
- Development of laboratories further with the state of the art research facilities
- Imparting the best education to the students in the related areas of the department and moulding the students as good engineers
- Assisting all branches of engineering effectively to achieve their goals
Long term Goals
- Introducing M.Tech / M.Sc Programs in the Dept.
- Consultancy to reputed Organizations
- Development of the Department to high standards with excellent reputation.
- Taking productive research activities
B.Tech. I Year – Subject: Engg. Chemistry
- To bring adaptability to the concepts of chemistry and to acquire the required skills to become a perfect engineer.
- To impart the basic knowledge of atomic, molecular and electronic modifications which makes the student to understand the technology based on them.
- To understand water quality, softening methods and related problems.
Industrial water, its requirements and treatment.
- To acquire the knowledge of electrochemistry, corrosion and water treatment which are essential for the Engineers and in industry.
- To acquire the skills pertaining to spectroscopy and to apply them for medical and other fields.
- To impart the knowledge of stereochemistry and synthetic aspects useful for understanding reaction pathways.
- The basic concepts included in this course will help the student to gain: The knowledge of atomic, molecular and electronic changes, band theory related to conductivity.
- The knowledge of the treatment of water for industrial purpose, to understand water quality, softening methods and related problems, Potable water treatment.
- The knowledge about the electrochemical principles, construction and working of batteries; corrosion and its control technologies.
- The required skills to get clear concepts on basic spectroscopy and application to medical and other fields. The knowledge of configurational and conformational analysis of molecules and reaction mechanisms.
B.Tech. I Year – Subject: Engg. Chemistry Laboratory
The course consists of experiments related to the principles of chemistry required for engineering student. The student will learn:
- Estimation of hardness and chloride content of water to check its suitability for drinking and industrial purpose.
- To determine the rate constant of reactions from concentrations as a function of time.
- The measurement of physical properties like adsorption, surface tension and viscosity.
- To synthesize the drug molecules and check the purity of organic molecules by thin layer chromatographic (TLC) technique.
- Conductometric and potentiometric titration.
- To determine the acid value of oils and Fats.
- Nernst distribution law for the distribution of solute between two immiscible solvents.
The experiments will make the student gain skills on:
- Determination of parameters like hardness and chloride content in water.
- Estimation of rate constant of a reaction from concentration – time relationships.
- Determination of physical properties like adsorption, surface tension and viscosity.
- Calculation of Rf values of some organic molecules by TLC technique Instrumentation techniques like Conductometry and Potentiometry.
- Determination of Quality of coconut oil.
- Determination of partition coefficient of acetic acid between n-butanol and water.
B.Tech. I Year – Subject: Engineering Physics
- The course aims at making students to understand the basic concepts of Principles of Physics in a broader sense with a view to lay foundation for the various engineering courses.
- Students will be able to demonstrate competency and understanding of the concepts found in Mechanics, Harmonic Oscillations, Waves in one dimension, wave Optics, Lasers, Fiber Optics and a broad base of knowledge in physics.
- The main purpose of this course is to equip engineering undergraduates with an understanding of the scientific method, so that they may use the training beneficially in their higher pursuits.
- Today the need is to stress principles rather than specific procedures, to select areas of contemporary interest rather than of past interest, and to condition the student to the atmosphere of change he will encounter during his career.
- The knowledge of Physics relevant to engineering is critical for converting ideas into technology.
- An understanding of Physics also helps engineers understand the working and limitations of existing devices and techniques, which eventually leads to new innovations and improvements.
- In the present course, the students can gain knowledge on the mechanism of physical bodies upon the action of forces on them, the generation, transmission and the detection of the waves, Optical Phenomena like Interference, diffraction, the principles of lasers and Fibre Optics.
- Various chapters establish a strong foundation on the different kinds of characters of several materials and pave a way for them to use in at various technical and engineering applications.
B.Tech. I Year – Subject: Applied Physics
- Students will demonstrate skills in scientific inquiry, problem solving and laboratory techniques.
- Students will be able to demonstrate competency and understanding of the concepts found in Quantum Mechanics, Fiber optics and lasers, Semiconductor physics and Electromagnetic theory and a broad base of knowledge in physics.
- The graduates will be able to solve non-traditional problems that potentially draw on knowledge in multiple areas of physics.
- To study applications in engineering like memory devices, transformer core andϖ electromagnetic machinery.
- The student would be able to learn the fundamental concepts on Quantum behaviourϖ of matter in its micro state.
- The knowledge of fundamentals of Semiconductor physics, Optoelectronics, Lasers and fibre optics enable the students to apply to various systems like communications, solar cell, photo cells and so on.
- Design, characterization and study of properties of material help the students to prepare new materials for various engineering applications.
- The course also helps the students to be exposed to the phenomena of electromagnetism and also to have exposure on magnetic materials and dielectric materials.
B.Tech. I Year – Subject: Engineering Physics / Applied Physics Laboratory
- To impart physical measurement skills.
- To make the students understand coherence between theoretical and practical measurement.
- Develop the skills needed to set up the equipment required to test models or theory developed in the lecture course.
- Be able to interpret results and develop correct conclusions.
- Maintain a laboratory notebook and write formal reports of practical workout.
- Develop skills to impart practical knowledge in real time solutions.
- Understand principle, concept, working and application of new technology and comparison of results with theoretical calculations.
- Design new experiments/instruments with practical knowledge.
- Gain knowledge of new concept in the solution of practical oriented problems and to understand more deep knowledge about the solution to theoretical problems.
- Understand measurement technology, usage of new instruments and real timeϖ applications in engineering studies.
B.Tech. I Year – Subject: Environmental Science & Technology
- To identify, formulate and solve environmental problems by utilizing the concept of environmental studies.
- To avoid environmental pollution & Global Problems.
- To understand human activities which are causing environmental degradation and the measures to be taken to avoid this problem.
- To create awareness among people about protection of wild life & forests.
- Conservation of natural resources, ecological balance and biodiversity to achieve sustainable development.
- Understanding of environmental policies and regulations.
After the completion of the course, the student would be able to
- Get the information about ecosystem and also about its functions like Food chain, Ecological pyramids etc.,
- Get the knowledge about the different types of resources like land, water, mineral and energy and also about the effects of environment by the usage of these resources.
- Gain the knowledge about the ecosystem diversity, its values and also about the importance of the endemic species and different techniques involved in its conservation
- Gain the knowledge about the different types of pollutions and their control technologies, Waste water treatment, Bio medical waste management etc.,
- Get the complete information about EIA- Environmental Impact Assessment, Sustainable developmental activities, environmental policies and regulations, awareness among people about protection of wild life, forest and other natural resources.